September 8, 2014

Are You Listening?


Recently I moved my Paso Fino gelding, Coro, who had been boarded over an hour away for the past year, to a new stable. My main goal was simply to have him closer to me, as I wanted to be able to visit and ride more often. I wanted an arena to ride in - it didn't have to be indoors - and ideally, some trails. Beyond that, all of my criteria were about Coro. I had several barn managers scoff at some of my considerations - mentioning that I wanted a place less busy or with more grazing -  and say things like "it shouldn't be about what your horse wants" or "who's running the show - you or your horse?" At 25 years old, with two significant health issues and having already experienced a lot of change in the last few years, my answer is that it is about what my horse wants, within reason. I know which conditions he does best under, and I'd like to see him thrive for ten more years. I wanted him to be able to graze most days, to have shelter in bad weather, an active but not stressful social life, and an individualized feeding program including his daily medications. If that meant I drive a little farther, don't have an indoor arena, or pay a bit more - so be it. After a month of searching, calling and driving, I did find that perfect place for my old guy - one I think we will both be very happy with. I did not choose the barn that was a short 11 miles from me, because it had no grazing. I did not choose the barn that had an indoor arena, a heated lounge and beautiful trail riding, because there were holes in the pastures and fewer turnout days. I prioritized Coro's needs and found a picturesque little red barn tucked away behind a hill that offers his own private pasture and a safe, airy run. He has already settled in wonderfully and I think I made the right choice.


My father believes that having pets at all is a selfish choice, and I see how this could be argued philosophically. Having rescue animals with known backgrounds, having seen exactly where they came from and how their lives are changed, I truly think my animals are better off with me and that Boca, especially, is so obviously grateful for her new home. Even if it is inherently selfish, I do my very best to make their lives as happy, healthy and fulfilled as I am able. I was raised to put animals first by a woman who ran into a burning barn to save our chickens and rabbits. You can see why my dedication to them might be construed as a little over the top, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I stumbled across an old blog post in support of shock collars the other day, and as disappointed as I was since this is a blog I regularly follow, I had to read its entirety as well as the comments. The most discouraging commenter stated that she "had" to use a shock collar in order to take her dog to the dog park or let it off leash - two activities that should be enjoyable to the dog, but because they caused it fear or anxiety and just were not within its realm of comfort, pain and intimidation was employed so that it could conform to the commenter's ideal of a "normal" dog. I find this rationale heartbreaking.


For me, it is far more important that I am interacting with my animals with softness, kindness and grace whenever possible, than that they are fitting into some cookie cutter standard of what they are "supposed" to do or existing in places of expectation. I have made many changes and compromises for Ruby and I do so without hesitation. I mourned the loss of some ideas I had about the dog I wanted her to be, but gained so much more in seeing the dog she is and what she has to teach me. There is nothing more valuable than her trust. In Boca, by some twist of tropical fortune, I very likely do have the farmers-market-dog, the coffee-shop-patio dog, but we're taking it slow. I am interested in conversation, not conformity, and I know that they have more to tell me than I could ever tell them. I think that if we are listening closely, if we let them "run the show" sometimes, our lives with animals can be infinitely more rewarding.

20 comments:

  1. So happy that you found a good place for Coro! I totally agree with the thoughts you've expressed here (and so eloquently, as always). Thanks so much for sharing, and for the added encouragement to listen to our pets more than we talk to/at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I know none of this is news to most readers of my blog, I think we are all pretty like-minded in this respect.

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you were able to find a good place for Coro. It really is about what our animals want/need. I make decisions based on my dogs needs without hesitation. It really is so important to listen to what our pets have to say. We can all lead happier lives that way

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome you found a good barn for Coro! I totally agree with you about listening to the animals. I think their needs should be considered first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or maybe the truth is that their needs are identical to ours. Seems that way around here. I have a hearing loss, but it doesn't cause a problem. It's people who I can't hear... sounds like you might be developing a hearing loss too. Congrats on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's odd to me that the barn managers of all people were wondering why you would put your horse first. Glad you ended up finding a nice place for him, I agree that they should be a priority. We chose to adopt them, their well being is our responsibility.

    Your comments about communicating and the shock collar comment remind me of the Ian Dunbar video that's been going around this week. http://www.ted.com/talks/ian_dunbar_on_dog_friendly_dog_training?language=en

    We don't often take the time to listen to what our animals are saying. And if you believe in what Dubar says we're very poor at communicating anyways.

    I didn't have to put much thought into giving extra kindness and thought into training until I got Laika. Before that we had so called "normal" dogs, then as an adult the first one I adopt came with resource guarding and reactivity. I quickly learned that much of it's fear based; why would I react by making her even more fearful? Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses are in that tough spot where more is expected of them, since they aren't exactly pets.

      Ian Dunbar on TED Talks? I'm going to check that out for sure.

      Ruby is by far my most sensitive dog. It really does change the way you think and interact.

      Delete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

    I had the opposite discussion with a pet store employee once. He suggested that I shouldn't put a price on my dog's happiness. This was when I mentioned that $360 a month for dog food, for one 30 pound dog, was a smidge high.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post for so many reasons. First, you put your horse's needs first and found him a great place to live. Second, you know the limitations of your dogs and work with them. And, third, you know the limitations of your dogs and make sure they live happy lives with you. Yes, I said that twice and because it deserves being mentioned twice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you, I don't think I could leave either of my boys in the care of someone who didn't understand that their needs come first!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horse world is a strange one, since they fall somewhere between 'livestock' and 'pet'. In my family, they are pets :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you managed to find a Goldilocks barn that fits "just right." And I completely agree with your sentiments. On one hand, everything we do is "selfish" but I believe we can have meaningful relationships with pets that improve life for both parties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Jen Gabbard. I'd let those comments roll off my back. I'd be fairly confused with that type of response from a barn manager.

    I'm very happy Corso has a great new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of "no nonsense" type people in the horse business - they are in a tough spot between 'livestock' and 'pet' but they have always been pets in my family.

      Delete
  11. Your horse is beautiful. I love grey horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, but they are hard to keep clean and don't shine the way a dark horse does. There is something magical about them though - my favorite are dapple greys.

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting The Ginger Sisters at Rubicon Days! We enjoy each and every comment and love getting to know our readers.