April 29, 2014

Fostercake Arrival


I picked up my foster potcake from the airport last night. I am going to say foster a lot, but you guys she is so sweet, Ruby is thrilled, and she's been very easy thus far, but I know the poor thing is probably shell-shocked. I loved the whole experience of picking her up, visiting with the other rescue people, and driving home with a weary traveler. Ruby was a maniac when I introduced them through the dog gate and I was initially thinking "oh, no, what have I done!"  I couldn't really think of a better way to do the introduction on my own. Ruby was in barrier frustration overdrive, but once I took them for a walk outside things calmed down. Fostercake was very uncertain and didn't want to come back in the house at first, but pretty soon they were playing chase on the patio, and shortly thereafter, wrestling in the dog bed. She was very tolerant of Ruby, who can be overzealous and doesn't know when to quit.

 

Fostercake is really gentle - she takes treats more softly than any dog I've ever met. She was respectful of my elder kitty, and put herself to bed in the crate. She had a couple of accidents, which is to be expected, and has some itchiness that I'm going to combat with a bath and supplements for the time being. Ruby arrived very itchy, too, and it resolved fairly quickly. 

 

I was able to take the morning off from work and the girls played a short game of tug with the rubber SuperTug and had an antler-chewing party before taking naps.  We were up late and rose early this morning - I was hoping for a nap myself! 



I just love the little stripe of white on her belly! And her wrinkly forehead and gremlin ears! Excuse the disjointed post - I wanted to share pictures but am not very eloquent today on five hours of sleep!


We're having a terribly windy day here today and in the interest of keeping things low-key, did not take a walk this morning. Ruby is nervous in the wind and it seems fostercake might be, too. The girls did soak up some sun on the patio before I had to leave for work. Ruby had no issue with being separated in the kitchen while fostercake stays in the crate in the living room - just a slightly modified workday routine for her. Fostercake seems content to catch up on her rest. I'll be so happy to see them again this afternoon! 

15 comments:

  1. Yay yay yay!

    Itching can be stress, too, and who isn't stressed after flying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine how scary and stressful all that travel was. I will say - it was easier than picking up a person from the airport!

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! Fostercake is here!!! You did such a good job matching their coat colors!

    I'm glad they are getting along so well. Just a heads up - Blueberry took treats from me very gently at first too - but now that she "knows the score" so to speak, she can sometimes forget herself and get a little grabby. But what am I saying? You are such a consistent training - you could probably whip Blueberry into shape for me too! Have fun with her and keep us posted!

    Hahaha - a nap for yourself? Let us know how that works out... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My elkhound nearly took a finger a few times, if I didn't just throw it on the floor or remind her "gentle" (her "gentle" was a downgrade from shark to snapping turtle). Ruby varies - I can gauge her level of reactivity usually by how she takes a treat.

      I settled for being Ruby's pillow.

      Delete
  3. I love the photos, they are so sweet together. I'm sure once everyone has a little more sleep things will settle down a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is SO cute, and they look so adorable and happy together! I'm proud of you and impressed; can't wait to read more about the little foster one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's darling! You are awesome, to foster. Is she a Basenji mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a Potcake, considered their own breed from the Bahamas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potcake_dog

      She does have a Basenji look about her!

      Delete
  6. What a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so great! i love the picture of the two together on the bed :) so so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, things are going so well! You have a great foster dog, and I'm so glad Ruby seems to enjoy having her around too. I wish all my past fosters would've loved their crates right away! You lucked out there!

    Cute pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect match for your Ruby. I am so glad that they are getting along. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! They look like great friends already! So glad you're doing this, and I can't wait to follow Fostercake's progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love to hear that the two are getting along so great! It's funny that the fostercake looks so much like Ruby, for a second I thought they might have even been littermates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely they're getting along so well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting The Ginger Sisters at Rubicon Days! We enjoy each and every comment and love getting to know our readers.